Today I went into school to close up my classroom for the year. Last week when I signed up for a clean out day I wasn't sure how I would feel or react when I walked into my room. I didn't sleep well last night not knowing how today would go.
I woke up this morning just like any other school morning. If felt good to be in my old routine. I arrived at school about 8:30. I walked into my room and just stood there for awhile taking it all in. My classroom was frozen in time. The calendar was still set to March 12th, the weather was up. My question of the day was up and ready, centers were up in baskets. I then started to fumble around trying to figure out where to start. I finally decided to start by labeling the grab and go bags. Then I was able to start to fill the bags with the kids belongings.
Not long after that my assistant showed up and started working on cleaning out the cabinets. From there we continued to work until the room was bare. It felt sad because everything was left in the middle of half done. I ended up bringing home two tubs of thing. The next couple weeks i'll be working to finish the kids portfolios.
This was not how I saw my school year ending but I'm thankful for the time I did have with my precious class. Grab and Go will NOT be likely without tears. When I arrived home this afternoon I felt completely exhausted emotionally and physically. The tears didn't flow today but I was drained.
These past 4 months has changed so much of my life. I had experienced a lot of loss. I've finally started to close chapters and realize that there is light at the end of the tunnel starting to show. I look forward to what comes next and what is planned for me.
Below are some of the photos I took before the close up and those after.
And one of my Birthday Boy!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment