Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Grandpa Moon

The past couple week have been challenging to say the least.  I never would have imagined the emotion i would feel and the waves that it has come in.  As many of you know my grandfather is very sick and his final days here with us are upon us.  Also as many of you know family can pose some challenges for me.  After a long conversation with my Uncle "Star" he reminded me just how amazing my boys are and that's because of me, their mother.  Also that i'm pretty great myself.  My family doesn't function like most and has it's own challenges but this is us and i'm going to stay as positive as possible.

As a young child i have memories with my fathers parent, grandma and grandpa Moon.  I can remember visiting their home and wondering through my grandfathers garden, his thumb was green...boy did i NOT inherit that trait.  He had the most incredible garden and was he proud of it!  I can also remember being very small, small enough to fit beneath the bar stool and pretending like i was driving a car (I know silly memory)  Then there was the basement.  There was every toy you could think of down there.  Mostly my dad and his siblings old toys but they were all new to us.  Then if we were lucky my grandpa would pull out this car that we could actually drive around.  i don't even know how to describe it but i sure can picture it in my head.  My sister and i would fight over that thing endlessly.  Then when we moved to California my grandparents always sent a huge boy full of Christmas gifts.  I remember being told we couldn't open them until Christmas... that was so hard!

This summer the boys and i spent some time in Michigan, i am so thankful that we were able to spend some of that time with my grandparents.  I'm so glad that my boys got to see my grandpa smile and happy.  We all walked down to the park so the boys could play the same park (it had changed equipment 4 times) i played at as a child.  We sat in the shade and caught up on everything you can think of.  Then before we left i took the boys into the backyard i used to play in and even showed the boys where my grandpas garden once was.  He told the boys about all the things he used to grow, very proud of himself.  

Grandpa Moon you were a great son, husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather.  You worked endlessly for your family and served the Lord.  I am proud to be your granddaughter and feel blessed to call you mine.  I have cried my last tear for the night but I know there are plenty more to come over the next few days. I'll always have a special place in my heart for you Grandpa. 

Here are a few photos from our visit this summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment