This whole thing started about 12 days ago. I was rushing out the door with the boys trying to get to school. As I backed out of the driveway I spotted a squirrel at the top of one of my doorway pillars. It appeared that he was 'digging' into the dryvit. I said a few choice words including I'm going to kill that squirrel. Josiah said, no mom please don't hurt him. I dropped the boys off and returned home to set the trap in hopes of catching him and stopping him from doing more damage.
I arrived at school that morning a bit flustered knowing a squirrel was likely eating his way into my home. (Is that even possible, in my irrational mind, especially when it comes to critters... YES it is!) I then received a sweet text from my Josiah that said, Mom I love you so much please don't hurt the squirrel. I assured him I wouldn't hurt the squirrel but we needed to seal the hole so he wouldn't go inside.
Fast forward to the weekend my friend and her husband came over to save the day. They arrived with an enormous ladder and sealed off the hole. I felt a great sense of relief. The weather all week was yucky so I didn't really check the situation. From what I could see everything looked great.
Fast forward to today.... My friend said she and her husband would stop by sometime this weekend to check the patch and sand it down (Can I just say I am beyond blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life who love me and help me when a job is to big to handle on my own.) I was out having lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in years when she texted and said were here, no rush we'll leave when were done. When I arrive home they were gone. I went out the front door to get the mail. And that was when i heard the noise. It was a clawing, digging into Styrofoam sound. I put my ear next to the pillar and my worst fears were confirmed. Something was trapped inside the pillar. I'll be honest for a small moment I thought do nothing and let it be. Then I realized how helpful Steve has been and how much he loves animals. So I made the phone call. Within 30 mins they arrived. We've now cut an exit hole into the pillar, placing parchment paper over the hole. This will help determine if he comes out.
My boys took close notes the whole time and are in charge of checking the hole regularly. I'm in charge of not losing the dryvit replacement piece. Seriously critters love my house and i don't understand why! I am not critter friendly at all. Only time will tell what happens next.
No comments:
Post a Comment